Thursday, July 08, 2010

My Firstborn

I can't believe that my firstborn is five years old! It is strange how sometimes the days seem so long but the months and years go by so quickly. I am amazed by my son. He is full of inquisitiveness, caring, mischievousness, sensitivity and wonderment. Sometimes the very things I love about him are the same things that drive me up the wall.
He asks me questions almost constantly some days and I have only so many answers to give before I cannot answer anymore. He wants to know about everything around him, how things work, where they came from and why.
Nate loves his family so much. I have never known a kid who says "I love you" unsolicited as much as Nate does. He wants to have family over all the time, frequently asking for his cousin to come over, or pleading to go to grandma and grandpa's house. He adores his sister and dotes on her throughout every day. Hugs and kisses are not lacking with Nate.
Nate often brings my heart joy when he shines in moments of caring and willing obedience. There are times when I'm nursing and he is eager to help me out by bringing me a drink or the phone when it rings. He is such a good big brother to both of his siblings. He often helps to keep Joe from getting into things and he plays well with him despite the unusual circumstances of Joe's developmental delays.
Over the course of the last five years Nate has taught me so much about myself and life and motherhood. I think I am become more willing to go outside my comfort zone because of him. I have explored emotions all over the spectrum that I have not felt before in my life: the joy of welcoming a new life into this world, love of a parent for a child, fear of your child coming to harm, the sweet adoration when hearing your baby say "mama" or "I love you" for the first time, pride when your child shares or is kind to another... There is so much that I have done and felt because of my son and I am blessed to be his mother.
Thank you, Nate for being such a wonderful part of my life. I love you.

No comments: