Monday, October 08, 2012

Fall Update - Nate


A few nights ago Isaac was tucking Nate and Joe into bed.  Joe was getting a little rough and Isaac was reminding Joe to be gentle... and Nate said: "Joe must be a Jew... because he's not very Gentile."  Omigosh!  I was cracking up!  That kid is too smart for his own good!

We are having a pretty good school year.  We certainly have had our fair share of stubborn days.  But for the most party we are moving along well.  I'm making some modifications to our curriculum here and there to make our days run more smoothly.  We seem to get hung up most often on writing projects.  So, some days we do more things orally and that seems to help.  Nate is still reading up a storm (which always makes me feel better about the days when we have abbreviated school days).  He devours books like they are candy.  We've had fun breaking out some classic books-turned movie.  He has recently read Indian in the Cupboard and loved both the book and the movie.

Nate is excited to have two new cousins born within the last month.  Aiden and Isabel are now in the stories that Nate makes up.  He named a recent story "Nate the Great, Wyatt and Isabel's Adventures".  ;-)  His imagination never ceases to amaze me.  He is constantly creating whether it be stories or Legos... his mind is always in motion.  He has been rather attention seeking lately.  I have had a lot going on and Nate is quick to remind me that I spend too much time on the computer.  I'm trying to do better, but I just finished editing some wedding pictures which was rather time consuming for awhile.

Anyway,  I know its hard for Nate to be the oldest with two special needs sibs.  I try to make him feel special often.  We do get our "Nate Dates" from time to time and I love the time we get to spend one-on-one. It is so neat to hear how his prayers have changed over the past couple of years.  We are impressed with the profound things that he includes when he prays: praying for his new cousins, thanking God for time spent with friends and family, asking for help with learning this or that. He is always faithful in ending his prayers with "and thank you for my 17(or however many it is now) Lego sets".  What a special kid he is!  I love him!


Psalm 127:3-5  Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.


No comments: