Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Triple D

Even though we don't have cable anymore I still enjoy finding Diner, Drive-in and Dive restaurants to visit.  Recently I found a couple near home that I hadn't seen before.  So of course we had to try them out!
A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I met at Jersey Cafe in Carmel during her lunch break at work.  Its a philly steak sub place so we figured we would have plenty of time to go there before she had to get back to work.  We were not impressed with the service at all.  We felt ignored by the staff, it took forever to even get the waiter to take our order and then an hour after we got there the food was just coming out.  We had to get it in a to-go box because we both had to go.  We really wanted to dislike the food after such disappointing customer service experience.  But the philly sandwich that we got (one of the Guy approved items on the menu) was really amazing!  Even eating it out of a Styrofoam container fifteen minutes later it was still a great sandwich.  So, we have decided if we ever have a whole day free we'll go back and give them another try! 

Then there is The Tamale Place on the westside of Indy.  Its very near where our homeschool group meets for classes so Nate and I stopped by for breakfast last week.  Yes, we had tamales for breakfast!  I had tried their food before but its been years and it was someone else's take out.  I loved the open kitchen where you could see them making this wonderful food that smelled like my grandma's cooking.  It was hard to choose from the many delicious sounding flavors but we ended up sharing two tamales: a pork with green chili sauce and a pineapple/raisin. Nate insisted that he was not going to like either one and ended up loving them both!  I was surprised at how good the pineapple/raisin one was.  The chips and salsa are also particularly good!  The food is so good that we went back with my dad just a couple days later!  ;-)

Then, when Nate and I were in Lafayette for the Feast of the Hunter's Moon I took him to Triple XXX Family Restaurant in West Lafayette.  They have some good food!  Both Nate and I ordered burgers but they also serve breakfast all day.  I love the old diner ambiance and history behind the restaurant.  I love to see family run businesses do well over the years!


Check out Nate's "Guy Fieri" face.  ;-)  I love being able to have special outings with him. I am constantly amazed by this kid!  He is so fun to be around when we get one on one time.  Its so precious!  Need to put another "Nate Date" on the calendar soon!

I'm getting ready to take a trip to Florida and Georgia in a few weeks. I found Flavortown USA: a website by Triple D fans that has the restaurants featured on the show mapped out.  I'm doing a search for the areas we'll be going through to pick out a few places to stop along the way!

What are some of your favorite places to eat?  I'd love to hear your suggestions!

No comments: