Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Far From Miserable!

I was excited to get invited to a screening of the new musical Les Miserables.  This time I took my girlfriend with me.  My hubs wasn't as into Les Mis as she is.  I think I saw an older version when I was in high school and a friend was obsessed with musicals.  And I may have seen the non musical version that was released in 1998.  But its been awhile and while I know the gist of it... its kind of like seeing it for the first time.

Brief Synopsis: In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after he breaks parole, agrees to care for factory worker Fantine's daughter, Cosette. The fateful decision changes their lives forever.




I was truly blown away by the weight of this movie.  Any expectations that I had were surpassed.  It was a cinematic feast to the eyes.  The scene was set so well throughout the film.  And it was cast perfectly.  Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway gave compelling performances, both of them bringing me to tears.  They were supported by Amanda Seyfried, Russell Crowe and Eddie Redmayne who all were excellent as well.  Some of these actors I was unaware that they sang and was pleasantly surprised at how well they did.


One thing that I did not quite buy was the love at first sight between Cosette and Marius. Their performances were very good.  I just am not a love at first sight girl.  I wish they had been given an opportunity to establish their relationship.  And the girl that played Eponine seemed to modern to me.  She did not quite fit in to the period the way everyone else did.

There were a couple of times when I was inclined to wish there was some ordinary talking instead of the start to finish singing... but they music and the performances were so riveting that I forgot about my "need" for dialogue and was carried away by the story.

This movie will be the talk of the Oscars, the Globes, you name it!  Excellent performances by the cast, propelled by the perfectly set scenes make this a musical of epic proportions.  I will be watching it again!




No comments: