Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Hobbit Movie Review

While I never read the books as a kid, I have really enjoyed the Lord of the Rings Trilogy movies.  When I heard they were doing The Hobbit I was excited (I thought it was weird to do the LOTR trilogy first, but whatever).  Just a few weeks ago we listened to The Hobbit audio book in the car on our road trip to visit family.  I may have fallen asleep, but I blame the long car ride, not the book!  But my husband said the book was very good.  And I liked the parts I was awake for.  ;-)  When I was invited to attend a screening of course I said yes!

In case you are not familiar with the story, here is what its about:
Bilbo Baggins is swept into a quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever ... Gollum. Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities ... Written by Production 



Isaac and I attended the screening together last night and both were excited to see it.  We consider ourselves to be a couple of movie buffs and enjoy critiquing whatever films we see.

I hadn't realized that the screening was in 3D until we arrived.  I was a little nervous because when we saw Avatar in 3D it kind of made me sick, at the very least was distracting and annoying throughout the movie...  however I was pleasantly surprised that it was not the case this time.  I found the detail to be amazing.  The images were so crisp and clear through the whole film.

My overall reaction to the film is very impressed.  I am a big fan of the LOTR movies and it is great to see them treating The Hobbit with the same respect and care to details.  The fantastical scenes they set completely came to life and the characters moved the story along beautifully.  The villains were evil and scary as they should be.  I jumped in my seat a few times.  While I found the ending to be appropriate... I was left wanting more!  I am thoroughly anticipating the next installment of the Hobbit movies. 

Here is a fitting quote from the book: "To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.".  That is how I feel about the movie.  The Hobbit is another wonderful adventure in Middle Earth that I could watch again and again!



No comments: