Saturday, February 02, 2013

Best Big Brother

  A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.  Proverbs 17:17

Normally I like to end my posts with a bible verse.  But today I am beginning with one.  Recently I have been reminded how awesome Nate is.  Sometimes he can be high energy and asks a lot of crazy questions that make me want to scream... but in his heart of hearts he is a kind and wonderful boy who amazes me daily. 
There are times when Joe and Christine are both being challenging and I just want to withdraw and disengage and hide myself away for awhile... and believe me, Nate feels that way sometimes too. 
But sometimes while I am on the verge of freaking out I see Nate go over to his two complicated siblings and embrace them.  Not always literally, but he reaches out to them in a way that I don't always have the patience to do.
 
He talks to them sweetly and tells them its alright and begins to coax them out of their tantrum or funk that they are in.  Nate has a way with Joe and Christine like no one else does.  He doesn't think there is anything "wrong" with them.  He completely accepts them just as they are.  He often says that Joe or Christine is the "best brother/sister ever".
 
I am noticing over time I am learning so much from Nate.  The way he thinks is so different from me and yet there are times when I see myself in him.  I'm not sure if its "nature" or "nurture" but we are clearly very much alike and very much different at the same time.
  
I suppose every parent hopes that their child will gain all of their good traits and none of their bad ones... but we know that never happens.  Nate exhibits both good and bad qualities from both of us.
  
He is so faithful in his prayers.  When we have him pray he never fails to end his prayers with "and thank you for my (X-number of) Lego sets".  He is constantly telling me he loves me and that I am the best mom ever, in the whole universe...
 There are so many things that I have to be thankful for and Nate is definitely one of them.  And I truly believe that he is the best big brother ever.  ;-)

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3John 1:4

2 comments:

Sherie said...

This one made me cry! What a beautiful view of your children - thanks for sharing!

Smithsholidayroad said...

Your children are beautiful! I love the sibling relationships you have described :)