Monday, June 29, 2009

Rewarding Experience


Have you ever heard of Sheltering Wings? It is a shelter that provides emergency housing for women and children suffering from any form of domestic abuse. They help to build stable and independent lives through essential programs offered in a supportive and Christ-centered environment.
My church has been supporting them for years and I've given to the clothes drives, etc. But recently God put it on my heart to use my talent for photography for His purpose and I thought of them. I got in contact with Sheltering Wings awhile back and arranged to spend a day at the park taking pictures.
I spent nearly eight hours at the park that day. The weather was beautiful, thank you God! I was blessed to have another photographer join me and together we met some very special women and their families.
I did not ask alot of questions because I know some of their situations are particularly sensitive, but in the short time we spent together I felt much hope and appreciation. I feel honored to have been able to give them this small gift.
I would like to ask that you take a look at Sheltering Wings website and consider getting involved in this vital ministry by supporting them. It might be a gift of supplies or food or clothing. It might be your time volunteering at the shelter. Organize a fundraiser at your church or organization. The possibilities are endless. Maybe you do not have the time but you do have money. Please pray and consider in what way you might be able to help.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful that you were able to do that for them. I can tell you first hand that anyone who does something special for you while you are there is a gift from God. My kids and I were so blessed by the incredible staff/volunteers.

Sarah said...

A couple years ago I took pics of the children there and brought scrapbooking supplies so the ladies could make mini books with the pics. I know they don't usually have pics and it meant a lot. I am so glad the shelter is there for those who need it!