Sunday, April 18, 2010

Third Trimester Thoughts...

We had our home visit with our midwife and doula. We have all our supplies set aside. The baby has "dropped" and I think we're about as ready as we are going to be. I keep telling friends and family that I'm ready to be done being pregnant but I'm not sure I'm ready for the baby to be here! But ready or not, at 38weeks we are now mere couple weeks (maybe even days ;-) away from the arrival of this baby. It really is an amazing thing, being pregnant. I mean, think about it... I have a living being growing inside of me right now. How awesome is that?!? ;-) While I may not be 100% confident about the appearance of my body any time much less right now, I am however in awe of my body's ability to nourish and grow this little person inside of me. What a huge blessing and responsibility God has given me. And I'm so anxious to meet this new little person! I can't wait to hold him or her in my arms and hug and cuddle them!

We are a bit unconventional in our birth plans. For those of you who don't know - we are home-birth people. We had planned on having Nate naturally in the hospital but that did not go as hoped and ended in what we believe was an unnecessary cesarean. I had a hard time with it physically and emotionally. So when we got pregnant with Joe we found a Certified Nurse Midwife in our area who attends homebirths. We had a much healthier experience staying home for Joe's birth. We were so happy with our homebirth last time that we naturally are planning another this time. *Below is a picture from Joe's homebirth in '07

Choosing to have a homebirth is not a decision that we made lightly nor do we recommend it for everyone. But after all of our reading and research it is what we believe to be the healthiest option for us. Hospitals tend to treat pregnancy and birth like a disease to be treated and use many interventions that are unnecessary and sometimes harmful to mom and baby. The cesarean rate in hospitals is rising. Up well over 30% in the US even though cesareans are often more risky for both mother and baby than a vaginal delivery. Doctors are often taught what to do in extreme circumstances - not how to help a woman give birth to her own child. Midwives however are specifically trained to do just that: help with normal healthy deliveries in a natural way. Anyway... while I can easily get on my soapbox for several posts... I will reign myself in and just say I wish more women would consider their options when it comes to childbirth instead of blindly going along with whatever their OB says and not researching and deciding for themselves what is best for themselves, their child and their families.

Something I find helpful especially toward the end of the pregnancy and even during the labor to use positive affirmations to keep my mind from being distracted by the negatives and the "what ifs". Here are some that I thought I'd share.

Pregnancy and Birthing Affirmations

My belly is full of light and love.

I am a strong and capable woman.

My cervix is firm and strong to hold my baby safe.

I am strong and calm and beautiful.

Birth is a wonderful, safe experience.

My body knows exactly what to do.

I am surrounded by loving, nurturing support.

I fearlessly surrender to the power of my body.

My body knows how to birth my baby.

I put all fear aside as I prepare for the birth of my baby.

Untapped sources of strength are available to me.

I am focused on a smooth, easy birth.

I trust my body to know what it is to do.

I welcome my coming labor as the perfect one for me and my baby.

My mind is relaxed, my body is relaxed.

My muscles work in complete harmony to make birthing easier.

My cervix opens outward and allows my baby to ease down.

I choose a gentle and natural birth.

My body knows exactly what to do.

Each surge of my body brings my baby closer to me.

I put all fear aside and welcome by baby with happiness and joy.

I deserve and receive all the love and support I need.


Also here are a few encouraging scriptures that I found to meditate on:

Psalm 34:19 -A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all.

Psalm 16:11 - You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Lamentations 3:25 - The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him.

Ephesians 3:20-21 - Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.


SIDE NOTE!! I also wanted to announce the winners of my blog party giveaways. First is the random drawing for the Mommy Makeover kit including a book, workout dvd and a protein bar and that goes to Amanda at One Day at a Time. The other was a scrapbooking grab bag for the best party story and that goes to Jen at Creative and Curious Kids for sharing about the awesome fairy party she put together for her daughter! Loved it!


No comments: