Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spring Papercrafting w/ Kids

Last fall I used my crafting skills and taught papercrafting in one of Nate's classes in our homeschool co-op. Well, the papercrafting class was a hit with the Kindergarten/First Grade class in the fall so the group leaders asked me to teach it again - this time to the Second Graders. At first I was nervous but most of the planning was already out of the way. I just had to modify a few crafts to account for the change in seasons (I didn't think we should make paper pumpkins this semester!). I'm sorry to say that I did not get pictures of each and every project... a girl does what she can. ;-)

week 1 - I love you "This Much" hand card - pretty big hit with the class and used an adequate amount of the class time. We ended up playing one or two rounds of Telephone at the end to kill 5min.

week 2 - Fingerprint Art - About half the class liked this one. Most of them were not fans of having ink on their hands. And it seemed to finish too quickly. We played Giants, Wizards and Elves (a camp game my sister taught us) - which is an active modification of Paper, Rock Scissors. Unfortunately one of the boys said he couldn't play because it had "magic" in it. Sigh...

week 3 - Bunting Banner - After the mixed reviews about the finger print art I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was a real crowd pleaser! The kids really liked this craft and it seemed to fill the class time just right, we finished early enough for everyone to go wash their hands before the next class period.

week 4 - Tissue Paper Stained Glass Window -

week 5 - I had the kids decorate paper Easter Eggs using the leftover scrapbook paper from the bunting banner project. I'm pretty thrifty like that, even when it isn't my money I'm spending. ;-) The kids really enjoyed this one. We got a huge variety of styles in the end, some eggs looked like Humpty Dumpty with arms and legs, while others were colored and looked like stained glass windows. Its neat to see their personalities come out through their projects.

week 6 - Paper Covered Notebook (with silhouette) - This is always one of my favorites because its so personalized. The kids didn't really "get" the silhouette thing so half the kids glued theirs on backwards with their face showing. Oh, well.

Whew! Its been fun teaching the class but it makes me thankful that I am only homeschooling one right now! ;-) The semester went well. I had a good time getting to know the second graders better and I think they had a good time crafting with me.

"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' " Matthew 25:23

No comments: