Saturday, August 11, 2012

New School Year Ahead


This year I am using Bigger Hearts for His Glory (Heart of Dakota) for Nate's second grade curriculum.  I am getting more comfortable supplementing if/when I find that something isn't working for us.  We're only a week into the school year and I'm already considering another handwriting program.  Nate and I both are still getting the kinks worked out and trying to find a routine that works for both of us.  We've had a few battle of wills this week.  Hopefully those will subside as we get settled into the school year.  We are looking forward to resuming activities with our homeschool group.  A few families from our church are joining this year so we're excited to have our friends join in the fun!

Joe has started in a Life Skills kindergarten class.  So far he seems to be doing well.  We get simple updates daily from the teacher letting us know what activities he did that day.  The teacher said the class is very focused on communication and that is very good for Joe.  He needs a lot of work in this area because he is getting so frustrated at home when he cannot express himself and tell us what he wants/needs.  Joe is also continuing with outside PT, OT and Speech.

Christine is working hard in her First Steps therapies.  Earlier in the summer we had some therapist swapping and we have been getting used to the new schedule and therapists.  Christine has made some really good progress since her last quarterly report.  She is slowly but surely working on getting the hang of crawling.  We keep thinking any day now its gonna click and she'll be all over the place but she's taking her time for now.  She has been very jabbery lately.  She is trying lots of new sounds and being very intent.  So cute!

We've been so busy.  Isaac's new job keeps him away from home 9am-8pm every day during the week.  We only have meals together on the weekend.  While we have the occasional guest most of the time the kids and I are on our own.  It makes my days very long. And Joe and Christine are in the middle of another series of doctor's appointments (which are wearing me out on their own). I have had plenty of days when I feel like I'm at the end of my rope.  But I am thankful for the help of my parents and Jess providing help and company.  I don't know what I'd do without them. 


Proverbs 1:8-9 Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.




No comments: