FYI - I decided that this is my list and I can make up my own rules... so if I have not already mentioned this I am giving myself through this year that I'm thirty to continue working on my list. I've made a pretty good dent in it but still have a few things to check off and I say nothing wrong with giving myself a little extra time, especially since I only started the list at my last birthday. Anyway - here is the list and what I've done so far:
1. Take a "real" vacation with my husband! - DONE!! We had a great trip to Wisconsin last summer. We'll definitely have to do that again sometime!!
2. I want to go to one (and only one) of the following: Colts game, Pacers game OR the Indy 500.... Those are huge Indianapolis things to do and I've lived here my whole life and not done any of them! * Changed to sporting event with hubby. So that includes the Cubbies. - DONE - actually I went to my first Cubs game w/ my husband and I got to go to a Pacers game w/ a friend! Great fun! Way better in person than watching the game on tv!!
3. Go on a trip with my "girls". We've been talking about doing it for years but none of us has had the money... but somehow we need to make it happen!!
4. Watch a silent movie. I don't know why but I think it'd be really fun! Charlie Chaplain here I come! – Have yet to watch a silent film but my DH and I have been watching classics from the American Film Institute's Top 100 list. We've seen some really great old movies!
5. Going to a scrapbooking retreat with a group of my Scrappin' Sisters! This one will totally happen! Right girls?!? - DONE - we did a DIY retreat late last summer. It was so much fun. Hope we can do it again sometime!
6. Take my older son to an amusement OR water park. He loved the carnival rides at the county fair... I know he'd love the kiddie area of Kings' Island or Holiday World... something like that. - DONE - just before Christmas we went to Great Wolf Lodge and Nate had a blast.
7. Get really good outdoor family pictures taken of us and the boys. I'm a photographer myself... but it is hard to do your own family's pictures! - DONE - we had a good friend do our family pictures in the fall and we loved them. Course we'll have to do it again since we're going from family of four to party of five in a couple short months!!
8. Have my entire house clean at the same time. (I'm not saying I will do said cleaning... just that it will be done!) - um, yeah... not done... but its a work in progress. ;-)
9. Ok, please don't laugh or think I'm awful! I want to go skinny dipping! Though I'll probably have to do it alone because my husband does not do water. - I'll be waiting until warmer weather to even think about checking this one off.
10. Do some community service OR mission trip. I've kind of let stuff like that sit on the back burner since I had kids and I think it'd be good to give in that way again. - DONE - I have done family pictures for Sheltering Wings families and hope to make it an annual event.
11. I know this sounds lame but... I want to own a minivan. It is hard having two kids in car seats in a small sedan! It'd be nice to have my siblings be able to ride with us instead of having to drive separate cars! - DONE - last year (summer/fall) we bought a minivan from some friends. We love it!!
12. Feel comfortable in my own skin. Whether that includes losing weight, getting in better shape, or not... I just want to be able to look at myself and love me without being so critical of myself and pointing out all my flaws. - Another work in progress.
13. Get better at managing my time... sometimes I feel like I am busy all day and get nothing done! There has to be a better way! - I'm working on implementing some good patterns into my schedule to make better use of my time.
14. Paint our master bedroom. It’s a fairly inexpensive way to change the look of a room and I think it’d help me to be satisfied w/ our hand-me-down furniture instead of longing for something new. - getting ready to... my mom and I are working on the details of redecorating our bedroom. Hoping to have this done before the baby comes.
15. Get in touch with a few old friends that I haven’t talked to in awhile. I know that some friends are seasonal friends and aren’t meant to last forever… but sometimes it is nice to catch up with people that you’ve lost touch with too. ** DONE! Facebook!! Its great reconnecting with old friends from previous jobs and college!!
16. Read all of Jane Austen’s books. I loved the movies of her books and I liked The Jane Austen Book Club… I think it’d be fun to make an “all Jane Austen all the time book club” of my own! - not so into this one anymore. I tried to read Emma and I just have issues reading books that I have already seen the movie of. Maybe I'll try one of her other books later.
17. Find a new Christmas tradition to replace gifts. Every year we’re overwhelmed with the amount of toys and stuff that our boys get from friends and family. I want to stop exchanging gifts within our immediate family and take a trip or have a special outing that we do together instead – DONE. We went to an indoor waterpark just before Christmas last year and I think we'll try to do some kind of trip like that every year and only exchange stockings instead of a bunch of gifts. Now if only we could get my MIL to do the same! ;-)
18. Begin home-schooling my boys. I was home-schooled and while I think there are many advantages to doing it… I’m a little intimidated. I want to get organized enough to do it well. - DONE. I've been working with Nate and we're taking it slow for now but I think we're getting the hang of it. Its a work in progress. ;-)
19. Decide if we are going to have more kids. When we got married I wanted four kids and Isaac wanted two. Well… after having one via unexpected c-section, and one vbac at home…one who tries my patience daily and the other who pulls at my heartstrings constantly… I’m not sure if I can handle any more kids.** DONE!! God decided for us! We're expecting baby #3 on May 1st!!
20. Expand my photography business. I’ve kind of just let my business be primarily friends and family so far. But I’d like to take it a little more seriously and actually do some marketing and put my business out there for more jobs. I want to do this for two reasons: 1) I love taking pictures and want to improve my skill and a lot of that comes from experience. 2) It would be helpful to our family financially if I was able to bring in some extra income. - Waiting on this one since I'm getting ready to have a baby, I figure holding off on business building for the time being is the best move. Maybe in the fall I could tackle a photography class or something.
21. Get all my completed scrapbook pages into albums! I have piles of pages that are stacking up that I have no albums to put them into! - um yeah... still need to work on that one! ;-)
22. Finish reading through the whole bible with my husband. We got off to a good start awhile back and got out of the habit. Need to start back up and finish this time! - We're working on it!!
23. Go to a women's conference. I’ve wanted to go to Hearts at Home for a couple of years now and have not been able to work it out. One of these days… it will happen! - still having a hard time getting someone to go to Hearts at Home with me!! But I did get to go to a local women's conference a few weeks ago that was awesome! It makes me want to go to Hearts at Home even more!
24. Find a way to show my husband how much I appreciate him. He is such a big part of my life and while he certainly challenges me… I think I take all the good things about him for granted sometimes. - According to my DH I do a pretty good job on this one. So I guess this one counts as "DONE" even though it is something I will continue to strive at.
25. Help make some positive changes to the women’s ministry at my church. I think there are a lot of women who would benefit from some regular fellowship time where we can develop our relationships on a deeper level than what we can do on Sunday mornings. - sigh... its a work in progress. Change isn't something that my church handles well so I'm having to be patient and let things happen a little at a time. But there have been some small steps forward so I say "DONE" but will keep on keepin' on.
26. Go see Wicked (or some other live musical). I have always enjoyed musicals and haven’t been to many live shows lately. I’m one of those dorks who will sing along and annoy whoever is sitting next to me!!
27. Become involved in a mom’s group/play group of some kind. - I still want to do this. I am hoping that scheduling might be a little easier when Joe is in developmental preschool instead of having 5 dif therapies at dif times throughout the week to work around.
28. Write out our will. It is not a fun job. No one (ok, I don’t) looks forward to thinking about what will happen when their gone from this world. But it has got to be done. - sigh... not happened yet.
29. Take a continuing education class for fun. I was looking in the paper a few weeks ago and there were a few that I am interested in: cooking, etiquette, how to build your photography business, and others. Maybe I could talk someone into doing it with me! - DONE... At this time in my life it would be difficult to say the least to take a continuing education class. So, I bought a photography seminar series on dvd and plan on going through that a little at a time. Yeah! I can't wait to get started.
30. Read a book that my husband recommends (from cover to cover!). My DH and I do not have similar taste in books at all. I read mostly fiction with some fluffy self help or DIY books in the mix. He on the other hand reads mostly theological stuff that generally bores me! - I'm working on it. He picked this ginormous theology book that is going very slowly. We'll see.
Hhhmmm.... I haven't gotten as much done as I thought I had. I think I counted 14 out of 30 done and a couple were partially done. Oh, well. Keep on keepin' on. Its been fun to have these "goals" in the back of my mind this year and I will continue to work on them this coming year as well.