Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Kevin Henkes Story/Craft - Lily's Purple Plastic Purse

Since becoming a parent I have grown to love Kevin Henkes' books.  So, when I was asked to teach the preschool class at our homeschool co-op I jumped at the chance to use his books.

The first week we read Lily's Purple Plastic Purse Lilly loves everything about school, especially her cool teacher, Mr. Slinger. But when Lilly brings her purple plastic purse and its treasures to school and can't wait until sharing time, Mr. Slinger confiscates her prized possessions. Lilly's fury leads to revenge and then to remorse and she sets out to make amends.

I found this printable lesson plan with discussion questions and activity ideas online.  The kids and I discussed the story and then the grownups helped the kids make their own purse with construction paper (similar to this).  We followed that up with a coloring page of Lily carrying her purple plastic purse. 

Being the first day of classes things were a little busy as we were getting settled into our groups so I neglected to take any pictures of the class in action.  I'll try to do better next week.  Let me know if you have any great story/craft ideas!





No comments: