Monday, April 01, 2013

Joe Cool's Birthday

On Joe's birthday we took a little trip to Chuck-E-Cheese.  Not a big deal, just us (Joe, Christine, my sis, friend, and myself) - no friends, but he had a blast! 
 
 
 
Nate had spent the night at my parents' house so we were able to give Joe and Christine a little more one on one attention.  They had so much fun!


But now for party details!  ;-)


Like I often do, I based Joe's birthday party theme on the items I was able to find on clearance at the Target Dollar Spot.  Months ago I found a few Snoopy themed items and I thought that would be a fun idea for Joe.  Then they sat in a closet collecting dust until a couple of weeks before his birthday when I started scouring the web for his Snoopy/Charlie Brown party.  Here are a few of my favorite links that I found:

A whole Pinterest board devoted to Charlie Brown birthday party ideas

A really cool Peanuts party (way out of our price range) great for inspiration

Squido has some good suggestions for various parts of the party:  food, games, decor, etc

This was my favorite printable link.  Great coloring pages!


I really liked a few ideas from this post on a 40th birthday party

As inspired as I was... we had Joe's party Easter afternoon and I lost momentum... so it was pretty laid back.  In the end I didn't do everything I wanted to do but it turned out fine anyway.  On the menu we had hot dogs, veggies and dip, fruit salad, peanuts, puppy chow and cake.

We had the boys do a scavenger hunt around the house to find Peanuts characters that we had taped here and there.  The boys all loved their goodie bags that included both Snoopy themed items and generic trinkets.
Clearly my cake was not fancy.  I used this tutorial to get the shape but my decorations were much simpler.  I used Jelly Beans from the kids' Easter baskets to spell Joe's name out, and used Snoopy and Woodstock figurines I bought off of Amazon.

We did play one game for the grown-ups. I printed this unfinished comic for the guests to fill in the speech bubbles themselves.  We split into two teams (guys vs girls) and the two people who didn't play were the judges.  The girls won!  Mostly we won because ours was legible and not a rambling confusing mess.  ;-)

All in all it was a good party and we had a nice visit with our families.  Joe had a great time!  Feeling blessed!
 

All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.  -  Charles M. Schulz


No comments: