Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Letter

I grew up watching my mom write a Christmas letter nearly every year. She would update the family and friends on what all of us kids were up to, how much we were growing and what we were interested in, etc. Now I have a family of my own and find myself writing the same kinds of letters every Christmas just as she did. But as I was writing our holiday letter (on a gloomy, depressing, stressful day) I began wondering: "does anyone write about the bad stuff?". Anyone? So here is the letter that my cynical Scrooge/Grinch-self wanted to write:

This year has been a roller coaster of highs and lows here. Nate drives me up the walls with about a million questions a day. He wears me out begging me to play legos non stop. Joe's progress seems painfully slow. Some days I feel like he's never going to walk or talk or anything! Christine is sweet as punch but as time goes on and she becomes more delayed I am scared to death that she is going to suffer from serious developmental delays like Joe. Sometimes I think if I have to change another poopy diaper I'm going to scream. Isaac's sleep issues are far from resolved so I have a lot of pressure on myself to take care of things on my own a lot. Then I guilt myself for not being grateful and I feel even worse than I did before. So there you go. Merry Christmas.

But... then I snap out of it and remind myself that no one sends out letters like that. Even though some days are hard and I want a vacation so badly I could scream... I know I am blessed. So, this is what I came up with instead.


It has been an eventful year for us. Here are just a few of the highlights.

Nate turned five years old in July. He is growing like a weed and getting smarter and more curious by the day! He is doing kindergarten at home and loving it. Nate loves playing with his legos and creating fun projects.

Joe aged out of First Steps when he turned three in March. Since then he has been in developmental preschool via the school system. He is getting PT, OT & speech therapy there and progressing slowly but surely. Joe is very active and we hope he will be walking soon.

Christine made her arrival via a wonderful homebirth on Cinco de Mayo. She has been the light of our life ever since. Christine basks in the attention from her brothers – especially Nate, who dotes on her. So far she has been the best baby – knock on wood!

While the kids keep us pretty busy Isaac and I still enjoy spending time together as a couple and look forward to celebrating our eighth anniversary in January.

We pray that this letter finds you in good health and spirits this Christmas season and that you feel as blessed as we do.

Much Love,

Isaac, Wani, Nate, Joe & Christine


"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." Luke 2:14


No comments: