Tuesday, February 28, 2012

K-bound

Today we had Joe's kindergarten conference with his IEP team: teachers, therapists, school staff, etc.

These things are always difficult for me. No one likes to be reminded that their almost five year old is developmentally 6-12mos old. So much of it feels like its reminding us of all the things that Joe cannot do. But I really felt that his teachers and therapists care about him and did what they could to emphasize his strengths and the progress he has made.

We are planning on having Joe join the Life Skills Kindergarten class. There will be a big focus on communication and learning independence through skills like dressing and feeding himself, things like that. He will be attending full day, except for days when he has outside therapy appointments.

I am nervous but excited about this next phase. In his short life Joe has found innumerable ways to push me outside of my comfort zone. Life is not how I imagined it would be ten years ago. Or even five years ago. But in some ways it is exactly what I thought it would be. I have three beautiful kids and a loving husband, and that is something that I have always wanted. Just some things are different than expected. And that is God's plan. We take things one day at a time. Some days are good and some are a challenge from beginning to end. But every day God is with us helping us through whatever comes along.


For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

No comments: