Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Breaking Habits

This year I am focusing on being intentional in my life and part of that includes working hard to break some old habits and creating new healthier ones.  Crystal at MoneySavingMom's new book Say Goodbye to Survival Mode is inspiring to make changes to help me break out of the huge rut I'm in.  I have gotten to where its typical for me to stay up too late, sleep too late and then have a frantic morning scrambling to get my two special needs kids out the door for school and then I'm exhausted from that and barely have the energy to homeschool Nate and everything else that my day holds... that is not how I want to start every day!



I know need to take things one at a time and in baby steps, otherwise I'll get overwhelmed and give up.  So, I am choosing to change one habit a week.  Last week I worked on getting up when my alarm went off instead of hitting the snooze a couple of times. I was pretty proud of myself.  The only day I didn't do it was a 2hr delay.  ;-)  But of course, skipping the snooze button is only the beginning.

Here are some habits I'll be working on over the next few weeks:

limiting my computer time - starting with not getting on facebook until after the kids get on the bus and working up to not getting on the computer at all until after Nate's school is done

starting my day with spending time in the Word - I can hardly remember the last time I was consistently in God's word.  Sad to say. 

going to bed earlier - this one is a real challenge because my hubby is a night owl

reading more instead of watching tv - when I get a little chunk of time to myself I often default to Netflix and just veg out on mindless shows, leaving stacks of books that I genuinely do want to read untouched.

meal planning from the pantry - I often plan meals with little regard to what we already have on hand, and I want to use it before we lose it!  ;-)

kicking my Goodwill habit - I am a sucker for a good deal and I am ashamed to say that I have been guilty of buying things that we don't need just because it was so cheap.  Its contributed greatly to the amount of clutter we've accumulated and its a waste of money.  I will still shop at Goodwill but I am going to be limiting my purchases to things that we actually, currently NEED. 


I'm sure I'll be coming up with more things to work on but these alone will keep me busy for awhile!  I'm joining in the linky at MoneySavingMom.  Do you have any goals you're working on or habits you're breaking/making right now?


1 comment:

Lydia said...

I need to work on cooking from the pantry as well. We just got part of a cow, so that has hurt my grocery budget. Now, I need to cook what I have. Summer and a garden is coming so I better get eating! Thanks for the reminder and to see someone else that struggles with this.

You can stop over and check out my goals on my blog.