Monday, April 14, 2008

More Please!

Over the last week or so we've tried pushing Joe a little more to communicate with us. We have been working on getting him so sign "more" during meals and sometimes when playing, etc. Its a slow and tedious process (as it was when we were first teaching Nate to sign). Sometimes I wonder if its worth it. And then... while I was out on Friday night Isaac called me. I always assume something is wrong if Isaac calls me when I'm out. He just couldn't wait to tell me that while he was feeding Joe dinner he tried to do "more"!
Now when babies are first learning signs its kind of an evolution of sorts. Just like when they are learning to talk they say things like "pasghetti" instead of spaghetti... signs don't usually look just right in the beginning. But there was a difference in his movements from his usual flailing about. Over the next day or so I kept looking for him to do it while I was feeding or playing with him. There were a few times that it kind of looked a little like it. But last night there were some definite attempts!
Also, both of his therapists noticed improvements this week. He has been holding himself better, exploring more sounds ("d" and "g"), more interested in people and toys, and more active physically in ways that he wasn't just a few weeks ago. And the last couple of meals he's been drinking out of a cup much better than before. He used to just gnaw on it... but he's actually taken several ounces from the cup at dinner and breakfast. Yeah!
Its sooo great to see him trying so hard. It does my heart good to be given reason to hope that he may still make a full comeback and not have any lasting handicap/disability. We're still not sure how all this is going to pan out. And in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. We'll continue to love and care for him no matter what. But we've been so encouraged by the progress we've seen in the last couple of days/weeks. And of course, as always he's a joy and a blessing!







** If you want to see before and after pictures of the boys' haircuts check out my kids' blog at: WanisKids!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

aww I am glad he is doing so well!

Jen @ One Moms World said...

This post made me smile. I loved the video. YAY... go Joe :)