Sunday, January 08, 2012

Nate

School is going well. I really like the way the curriculum we are using is structured. However, sometimes I feel like it is moving a little slowly. I'm torn between following the assigned tasks/chapters/worksheets/etc, and wanting to move things along so Nate is not bored. Up til now we have basically stuck to the program but Nate has done a lot of additional reading and other educational activities. I'm hoping that the next year is a little more challenging for him. We'll see. I'm not opposed to switching to another curriculum if that is what Nate needs. But I want to give this one a fair try first.

As I mentioned, Nate has been reading up a storm. He got a few second hand books and devoured them! They were abridged versions of Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island and Moby Dick. Nate read them in just a few days. We have been getting back into the habit of going to the library again which has helped him to find new books to read too. He has also gotten into the Franny K Stein books, the Bailey School Kids series and of course he still loves the Magic Treehouse Books. He loves anything with an adventure or a mystery to solve. It is so great to see his love of reading and learning grow.
I read an article online: School ADD isn't Homeschool ADD. And while I am not ready to try to get Nate diagnosed as ADD or anything else, he is a very curious and energetic kid. Because I was home educated I do not have a public school experience of my own to pull from. Its possible that he would be fine in public school. But more than likely someone with Nate's level of energy and precociousness would end up with a similar outcome as the boy in the article (teacher recommending ADD medication). I am confident that he will thrive more in the flexible educational environment here at home than he would in the structured public school system. As always I am constantly seeking God's blessing and guidance with both our child rearing and education decisions. If at any time Isaac and I feel God leading us to put Nate into the public school system we would certainly do so. But for now we are confident that we are on the right path.

Psalms 127:3-5 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

No comments: