Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Breastfeeding Carnival

Someone from the Blog Party left me a link to this Boobie thing at sarcasticmom.com... So of course I had to check it out! HA! But seriously I firmly believe that breast is best. I kind of debated about whether or not to do this because I feel so strongly about it. I think I came into breastfeeding from a slightly different view than some. I'm the oldest of five kids which were spread out over 15years. I remember my mom breastfeeding my younger siblings. My mom believed in nursing us... so much in fact that she gritted her teeth and stuck it out for years through cracked nipples, open sores, biting toddlers... it was not the beautiful experience that we see pictured on the La Leche League magazine. So when the time came for me to have my first child I knew I wanted to breastfeed and I kind of braced myself for it to be rough nursing. I was surprised with an unexpected c-section which got my journey of motherhood off to a rocky start since I had planned very hard for a natural birth. I am very thankful that breastfeeding went fairly well for me. It took baby Nate and I a few weeks to get the hang of things but we found our groove and despite a few hiccups (teething was really hard on both of us, and we had to work at getting him to take pumped milk from a bottle from time to time) I nursed him until I got pregnant when he was 13 months old. I briefly considered tandem nursing.... but my boobs wanted a little break between kids. After an emotionally healing VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) at home I began breastfeeding my second son within 20min of birth. He was born ready to eat! He is almost a year old now and still nursing strong. I won't say that my experience has been all gazing into eachother's eyes and gentle cuddles.... its actually often draining, and time consuming. But I am thankful for the God given opportunity and ability to provide my children with the best possible nutrition.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I breast fed all my boys too...The first, unfortunately only was on the breast until 5 months when I went back to work and lost my milk...but the other two went long and strong...still feeding my 19 month old :0) I completely agree with you!!!

jan said...

I agree with you too! Barrett nursed until he was about 3 years old. So far we've never had to take him to the dr. because of illness.

Wani said...

Judy -
Neither of our boys have been on antibiotics for anything! Just a couple of colds... nothing serious!

Amanda said...

i'm one of those moms who truly believe breast-feeding is best...and i have tried with both of my girls...i keep going until my milk runs out...which unforetunately is far earlier than i would like...around 4 or 5 months. with my second daughter i tried everything...resulting in tears, frustration, a lot of money down the drain, and a very hungry and unhappy baby. i am happy for those mom's breastfeeding works well for...and am committed to it as long as my milk lasts if we have more babies...but i am also so thankful that there is an alternative (both of my girls were struggling horribly with weight gain, etc.--and when we started formula they turned a corner BIG time...happier, healthier...and we have never had major illnesses...my 7 month old hasn't even had a cold). before i had a baby and struggled with nursing...really struggled...i think i was a bit critical of mom's who didn't do it...but i think my own experience has given me a new outlook. anyway...i just realized this is the first time i am commenting on your blog...and hope it doesn't come out "wrong"...just sharing my experience...because while i one hundred percent agree breast is best, i have been in contact with one too many mommy who is feeling absolutely worthless because it isn't working...

Leeann said...

I came here for the ultimate party and fell in love with your blog! I am also a BF mom. I have 4 kids...nursed the first 3 until 3 months/5 months/6 months...I stopped at those times because either I got sick and had to be on medication or my milk dried up from the stress of going back to work. With my 4th, I finally became a SAHM and am proud to say that my son never had formula. He nursed till 13 months and I loved it. I know it's not for everyone, but it was for me!

Lilypad Mom said...

My daughter and I had a slightly rough start to bf'ing as well because of an unexpected c-section and a short NICU stay. But 2.5 years later she is still going strong (actually alot stronger than I'd like, I'm getting close to being ready to wean). I'm glad you were able to have such successful bf'ing relationships with both of your kids.

Tami said...

I agree that Breast is best. I am nursing my fourth child and she will be 1 year on Mar. 23. I was talking to my mom the other day and told her I was ready to quit nursing. She told me I needed to stick with it because this is my last baby. It really makes me sad to think of milestones that way. But your breast feeding story sounds a lot like mine. I'm going to check out the Breastfeeding Carnival.

Anonymous said...

Hi There! Thanks for stopping by my blog party! I love the colors on your page, pink & brown...ahhh; so delicious!

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

Thanks for sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

I too am the oldest of 5 kids, and it seemed my Mom was always nursing or pregnant (and sometimes both). So, it was no question for me either.
My daughter is now 2 1/2 and still nurses to sleep every night. I'm glad that I was able to do this for her (though it is getting a little old at this point). I'm just hoping she'll stop when she's ready.