Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Whole Enchilada

In case I haven't mentioned it before..... I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD! I could eat Mexican just about anytime of day or night. It almost always sounds good to me. I mean, who doesn't like unlimited chips and salsa?!? My grandma on my moms side is Spanish so I've grown up with maybe a little more exposure to good Mexican food than some people. Grandma and my mom both are such good cooks! I'd like to think I got a little bit of the "good cooking" gene. Or at least the recipes!
Awhile ago I shared my Taco Soup/Chili Pie recipe. This time I'm going to share my Chicken Enchiladas recipe. Its one of my husband 's favorite dishes and he requests it regularly. Its kind of a "freestyle recipe". You know the kind.... those recipes that you can change up a little if you like. Sometimes I do it in the crock pot and others I bake it. Either way its a family favorite of ours!

Wani's Chicken Enchilada Casserole

1-2 cups of chicken or turkey pieces (alot of times I'll use canned chicken - its quick and easy)
20-ish tortillas flour or corn whichever you like - torn into pieces
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can green enchilada sauce
1 small can green chilis
2-4 cups cheese (we like cheese alot!)

In med-large bowl mix the chilis, cr chick soup, chicken, 1/2 the enchilada sauce and about half the cheese. In crock pot or baking pan pour a little enchilada sauce into the bottom to keep things from sticking. The layer 1/3 of the tortilla pieces on the bottom, followed by 1/2 the chicken mixture and a sprinkle of cheese. Repeat layering. Then top with remaining tortilla pieces, cheese and enchilada sauce. Crock Pot on high for 2-3hours Or bake for 30-35min at 375 degrees.
Great served with Spanish Rice, Mexican salad, refried bean, chips and salsa, etc.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'll try that this week. Does is taste really "mexicany" even though the enchilada sauce is the only Mexican spice?

Jill said...

Wani,

I'm glad you've enjoyed Professionalizing Motherhood! I do hope you make it to Hearts at Home next year!

Jess said...

Wani, I have had your Enchilada's and miss them greatly but this picture does not do them justice. I am very excited for Taco soup this weekend though.

Wani said...

I don't know, Sniz.... they're enchiladas.... they're supposed to taste somewhat Mexican-y, right? They're not too hot if thats what you're asking.