Friday, June 27, 2008

Love Lets Live

While we were at the Pro-Life Music Festival we saw and heard alot that made us think about our position on the subject and how our position should make us respond.
I've always been pro-life so I don't always stop to think about it much. And the statistics that they gave us really got me thinking about the sad reality of the issue. And its become such a political issue, detached from the personal nature of it. It shouldn't be a political issue: its an issue of the heart. How sad it is that so many women (and men) are comfortable taking a life in this way. Who are we to decide which pregnancy should fulfill its God given purpose and bring a life into this world and which ones should be "terminated"?
A guy from Stand True said something that stuck out to me. He said the key to stopping abortion is a matter of the heart. And if we bring all the doctors and mothers who are performing and having abortions then there won't be anyone left to do them. How cool would that be?!?
Here are a few stats I found on Abort73.com:
- Nearly half of pregnancies among American women are unintended; about 4 in 10 of these are terminated by abortion. Twenty-two percent of all U.S. pregnancies end in abortion. (AGI).
- On average, women give at least 3 reasons for choosing abortion: 3/4 say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or other responsibilities; about 3/4 say they cannot afford a child; and 1/2 say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner (AGI).
- 95% of abortions were known to have been performed by curettage (which includes dilatation and evacuation [D&E]). Most curetage abortions are suction procedures(CDC).
- 54% of women having abortions used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Amont those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users reported using the methods inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users reported correct use (AGI).
- 40% of minors having an abortion report that neither of their parents knew about the abortion (AGI).
- 17 states (AK, AZ, CA, CT, HI, IL, MA, MD, MN, MT, NJ, NM, NY, OR, VT, WA and WV) do use public funds to pay for abortions for some poor women. About 14% of all abortions in the United States are paid for with public funds (virtually all from the state) (AGI).
I like what Abort73 had to say here:
Abort73.com, believes that "secular" arguments are invaluable and even sufficient to demonstrate that abortion is an injustice of historic proportions, one which systematically destroys the most innocent and helpless members of the human race. You needn't believe in God to oppose abortion. Anyone who cares about human rights, and understands that the right not to be killed outweighs the right not to be pregnant, cannot support abortion. At the same time, we believe that there is no such thing as a truly "secular" argument. Human rights must come from somewhere, and if they're not God-given, they're arbitrary and baseless. Public policy can never be established outside of some kind of absolute moral framework.

Here are a few more great Pro-Life organizations if you are interested in helping to make a difference to the 4,000 unborn babies that are aborted every day in the US. ** some of these sites may have graphic images of abortions and aborted babies.
Stand True - Christ Centered Pro-Life
Rock for Life - A Project of American Life League
TeensForLife - a pro-life website just for teens
American Family Association - America's Largest Pro-Family Action Site
Survivors... of the Abortion Holocaust
Life Centers - formerly Crisis Pregnancy Centers
After Abortion - help for those who are healing after having an abortion


2 comments:

AlaneM said...

Thank you for this post & the links. Way back when, I killed my child (I don't like to sugarcoat it) and it has affected me in every facet of my life. I had no idea of the implications, nobody talked to me about anything but abortion (thank you very LITTLE planned parenthood - they offered only ONE choice to me)and nobody told me that it wasn't a 'blog of cells' but an actual baby in there.
I have since healed from my self-inflicted wound and now I'm committed to telling everyone I can about my experience. (hmmm, maybe should blog about it...)
I have to give a shout out to healing hearts ministries, that is the bible study that allowed me to work through these issues with the Lord and move forward in life. I will always be greatful for that ministry & the woman who put me in contact with them.
Keep spreading the word, you may be reaching someone as misinformed and nieve as I was!

Grace Acres said...

I am very pro-life as well and many people don't know that the mmr vaccine and the chicken pox vaccine is made from aborted fetuses. there is web link on one of the posts at godlovinghealthnut.blogspot.com

I find this very interesting as to many think they have to vaccinate, but I ask at what cost?