Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I cut it off for charity...

I think we all know that more people than ever are being affected by cancer, alopecia, trichotillomania and other conditions that may cause them to lose their hair, and ultimately their self esteem.  Women especially suffer when dealing with hair thinning or baldness.

My husband made the statement that he wishes that people would be able to feel comfortable being who they are even if that includes being bald.  I think its a nice idea, but with as much as people go through while fighting a serious illness, I think its understandable for them to seek some normalcy and often that includes wearing a wig.

It often feels like there is not much that I can do for those suffering from diseases and illnesses of this kind.  But donating my hair is something (albeit a small thing) that I can do and I am happy to do so.  Every few years I take the plunge and cut off 10+ inches of my hair and send it to a charity.  Here are before and after pictures of my recent donation cutting.



I teased my friends on facebook by posting this pix of Nate holding my ponytail before I posted the real "after" pix.
 Then, after much persuading I posted the pix on the right and the pix on the left was just taken (after I'd had a chance to play with the bit of curl left in my hair).


What do you think?  Cute?  My hubs still maintains that he prefers my hair long but that I'm beautiful no matter what my hair looks like.  I am enjoying the short new 'do for now.  Might have another "after" to show soon because my sister is going to help me die it!  ;-)


There is a really great article on She Knows about donating your hair to charity HERE.  You can donate your hair via Locks of Love OR Pantene Beautiful Lengths OR Wigs For Kids. If you have a donation "before" and "after" post I'd love to see it!  Thanks!










photo source

2 comments:

Danielle said...

So cute! I love it with the little bit of curl! I have chopped mine off a lot and I am always unsure and go through regret. Then I grow it out, see a pic of me with cute short hair and chop it off again!

Brandi said...

Love your new cut. Looks great on you!