THURSDAY THIRTEEN - 13 Things to do With Your Toddler
1. Read a book - its so important to start instilling a love of books early on in their lives. Find books you remember from when you were a kid, or find new ones to fall in love with together.
2. Take a walk - get outside and enjoy nature and explore it through the eyes of your child.
3. Snack - don't use food as a babysitter (at least not all the time) - sit down together and use that time to talk together about your day.
4. Draw on your sidewalk w/ chalk - kids love it and its fun to have such a huge canvas.
5. Make Up a Story - my three year old has really gotten into this lately - one of us will start a story and the other will help with key parts - its so neat to hear what he comes up with.
6. Let them "help" you - ok, so this isn't always fun but its really good for them to learn to help out around the house, taking care of their clothes, loading the dishwasher, stirring pancake batter, etc. Let them wear an apron or have their own special duster, etc... Be creative, you can make it fun if you try!
7. Color together - its a great time teach their colors and shapes and more.
8. Exercise - I like to do some basic stretching together... sometimes we'll do "tumbling" too.
9. Be Silly - turn up some music and sing and dance around like a kid again - its as good as a workout if you do it right!
10. Look at Photo albums - its good for your kids to be reminded about family members that they don't see every day. They can learn people's names and about relationships.
11. Make a home video - sometimes I can get Nate to do it and sometimes he gets camera shy. But there have been a few times when I got him to give a special message for Grandma or Auntie and send it to them when they haven't seen him in awhile. They love it!
12. Watch a kids show - help your child get involved with the show, make it an interactive learning experience so they can get the most out of their tv time.
13. Hug and Cuddle! - Don't underestimate the importance of physical touch. Kids love being loved on!